Helpful Storage Tips
At Totem Self Storage our goal is to provide you with an easy storage experience. Over the years our team has gathered some great experience and insight to help you get organized and make the most out of your storage space.
Keep Items Well Protected
- Purchase good quality furniture and mattress covers before moving to keep your items clean and dry while in transit.
- Pack fragile items with some cushioning such as bubble wrap or packing peanuts.
- Wrap dishes and glassware with packing paper to avoid friction or breakage.
- Pack your clothing in a wardrobe box with a hanger bar to keep them in good condition and store shoes in the bottom to save space.
- Mirror-Pak boxes allow for a custom fit when packing paintings, portraits or mirrors.
Make the Most of Your Space
- When loading items into your storage unit, leave an aisle in the center so that you can reach items in the back of your unit easily.
- Be sure to label boxes with either colorful markers or color coded labels to avoid unnecessarily opening them when you are looking for a specific item.
- Utilize overhead space in your storage unit and gain more floorspace by storing sofas upright.
- If you’re storing a refrigerator be sure to completely thaw and air it out completely, leaving the door slightly ajar and placing a box of baking soda inside to absorb odors.